New PhD Student Orientation
PhD students who are new to the Cornell Tech campus in SP20 will receive an email from Student Services in December/ early January.
PhD students are encouraged to visit the Student Services team during regularly scheduled Office Hours! Students are also welcome to schedule an appointment with Student Services (email@example.com) or our Wellness manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) at any time.
- Enjoy snacks and drinks! This weekly event is open to research community at Cornell Tech; faculty, post-docs, and PhD students are invited.
- Where: Bloomberg 497
- When: Almost every Friday from 4:30PM to 5:30PM
- PACT is the PhD student organization at Cornell Tech. Our goal is to be a voice for the PhD community across all fields. We focus on improving working conditions, better housing, transportation, and maintaining relationships with the other graduate organizations at Cornell Tech.
- Where: TBD
- When: Every other Friday from 4:00 to 4:30 PM. All PhD students and interested MS students are welcome to attend. Sign up for the pact-l@ mailing list for announcements.
- Student brown bag
- Our student-led research seminar. This is a venue for students to give practice talks, receive feedback about projects, workshop fledgling or risky ideas, or share tools and expertise.
- Where/when: TBD. Will be posted to the PACT OrgSync page; see above
- This event is funded by GPSA.
The Tech PhD Students mailing list is the best way to contact your fellow students. Anyone can send to it and it’s a great way to organize activities outside of your research group. Students are automatically added to the Cornell Tech PhD student group when arriving to Cornell Tech. If you are not receiving emails, please contact Student Services.
Slacks (use your @cornell.edu email to sign up using the links on the bottom)
Cornell Tech: https://cornelltechcampus.slack.com This Slack is frequented by faculty, staff, and some students. It’s great for campus-wide events, building or cafe questions, and announcements.
Cornell CIS (including tech and main campus): https://cornellcis.slack.com/messages/general/ This Slack is frequented by CS and IS students with no (or very few) faculty presence. Most of its members are at Ithaca, but there are some Tech folks as well. Great for “just hang out and enjoy the banter” discussions.
Seminars and faculty talks -Watch the tech-seminar-l@ mailing list for announcements!
Research Travel Grant Application
Grants to conduct thesis/dissertation research of up to $2,000 are open to research degree students, with priority given to those who have or will have completed their A Exams by the date of travel. However, all research degree students are encouraged to apply. In a typical year, the Graduate School provides funding to 80-100 students who apply.